Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Banned Kundra plays the victim card



A day after being banned for life from all cricket-related activities, erstwhile Rajasthan Royals co-owner Raj Kundra was playing the victim card. "It's a very depressing and sad day for me as my integrity has been questioned," he shot off a statement following the RM Lodha Committee's Tuesday verdict. "My support in this investigation seems to have backfired," his statement added.
The Supreme Court-appointed committee disseminated the arguments of Kundra's lawyers before handing out the punishment. One of the arguments was that he had been found guilty of misconduct as per the BCCI rules, only for the first time. Justice Lodha stated that his first guilt had brought the game to disrepute and therefore, could not be overlooked.
A UK citizen, Kundra has always claimed that there is no bar on him as far as betting is concerned. Justice Lodha did not buy that argument either, slamming it by saying, "Being a UK citizen, he had heavy responsibility on him to ensure that his actions were not in conflict with the laws of a foreign country. With so much information available online it is difficult to accept that as a UK citizen he believed betting to be legal in India."
Kundra continued to claim that there was no evidence against him to be deemed guilty. "I have always assisted and helped the Mudgal Committee right from Day One," his statement read. "It is disheartening that despite there being no evidence whatsoever against me, I was still deemed guilty. Even the fact that neither the Delhi Police nor Rajasthan Police found any actionable case against me (for the obvious reason that there was no evidence or material against me) has been made to make insinuations regarding my guilt for an act I never did. While I have great respect for the Honourable Supreme Court and the judicial system, unfortunately in this case I cannot but feel that I have been wronged," he added.
Clearly, Kundra, who held 11.7 % of shares in Rajasthan Royals before surrendering them in March this year, does not feel that his act of placing bets was unethical and wrong. Keeping with this line of thinking, his lawyers had argued that the 'alleged' offence was an individual action. Justice Lodha countered that if a part-owner indulges in such corrupt practices, the bad elements become emboldened to act accordingly. Justice Lodha made a mention of the Royals' spot-fixing scandal to drive home his point.
© TNN
The former Chief Justice of India also refuted that no allegations of match-fixing were registered against Kundra. The Mudgal Committee report had clearly stated that further investigation into him and his wife, actor Shilpa Shetty was required in this matter. In February this year, Kundra had said that he would give up shares in Royals if any wrongdoing was found on his part. "If an iota of wrongdoing is found from my side I will give up my share," Kundra had said, adding, "They have obviously gone for the lowest hanging fruit and that's unfortunate."
Prior to his statement on Wednesday, Kundra had been tweeting regarding the verdict. "Many inaccuracies... Have requested for a copy of the judgement - obviously very shocked and disappointed... I stated in front of the Lodha Panel loud and clear "NOT GUILTY". I request RTI and any "evidence" against my betting be made public!" Kundra had tweeted.
"The #LodhaPanel had 2 decide quantum of punishment and not to decide guilty or not as that was done by #Mudgal committee. Is it too much to request RTI to see the "Evidence" that the #Mudgal committee has against me. I would like it made public for all to see," he had tweeted again.
A college dropout, Kundra joined the IPL bandwagon in 2009 when he and Shilpa bought shares in Royals. Shilpa became the face of the Royals and was a regular figure during their home matches at Sawai Mansingh Stadium for the next five years. The couple distanced themselves from the franchise following charges of betting against Kundra in 2013. Having burnt his fingers, Kundra indicated that even if he hadn't been banned, he had decided to stay away from cricket. "I have anyway washed my hands of cricket in India."
While making his inglorious exit, he is aware that he has brought the RR house down too. "I find it very unfair that the team, other owners, the management, players and fans have been harshly treated," he said, on the two-year ban on the Royals.

No comments:

Post a Comment